Monday, December 27, 2010

Treadmill Interval Workout #1

Ever since I started taking cardio classes through the local community education program, I have become a big believer in interval training! Besides being way less boring than running on the treadmill at a steady pace for 30 minutes, intervals allow you to burn more calories during and after your workout. Plus, I always feel like I got such a better work out.


Here is an interval workout that I did last week:

1. 3 minutes fast walk (warm-up)
2. 2 minutes base pace
3. 2 minutes moderate pace
4. 1 minute base pace
5. 1 minute tempo pace
6. 1 minute base pace
7. 30 seconds sprint
8. Repeat steps #2-7 twice
9. 3 minutes base pace
10. 2 minutes walk (cool-down)


  • Base pace: the speed at which you would go if you were to go out and walk or run 3-5 miles (I go 5.5 mph)
  • Moderate pace: slightly faster than base pace. Challenging, but sustainable for a short time. (I go 6.5 mph)
  • Tempo pace: slightly faster than moderate pace. Difficult to have a conversation (I go 7.0 mph)
  • Sprint: as fast as you can go (I go 8.0 mph)

No comments:

Post a Comment