Sunday, October 2, 2011

Latch Match

Remember this guy?
While the primary purpose of refinishing this cabinet was to add a pinch of uniqueness to the room, it was also important that it be functional.

Taking away from it's functionality was the fact that it took me over a minute to open the latch, secondary to the fact that the latch was who-knows-how-old and was either partially rusted shut or needed some serious WD-40.


I decided that I wasn't going to mess with it, especially if I could just order a brand new one for relatively cheap. It looked kinda gross too.

I searched and searched and searched for one that was the same size since I did not want to have to drill new holes. I quickly discovered that over the last several decades the standard size of a latch has changed. There were so many choices!

I finally stumbled across this one from a company called Spokane Hardware Supply.
It appear to match my current latch almost exactly!

I ordered it, and when it finally came to my door, I opened the box to find this:

Uhhhh, that's a dead bolt.....not a cabinet latch.

Sure enough, when I checked the invoice, my order got mixed up with someone from Montana.
When I called to inform the company, they were very nice about it. They arranged for a pick up of the door knob and a week later my cabinet latch arrived.

On the cabinet it went.....

and in went some of my less frequently used kitchen items!


Project: refinished antique cabinet = complete!!

No comments:

Post a Comment