Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Healthy Cookie Bar??

While I was flipping through the HyVee Seasons Magazine that came in the mail this week, I came across a recipe for Z3 High Octane Bars (recipe here). I think it was the picture that first caught my eye:


My first reaction was, "whoa, that looks like a cookie bar!" Kyle thought they looked good too, so I decided to make them. Unlike my beloved cookies, they contain no flour, butter, or sugar.

Here's the how-to:

Ingredients:

2 c. Hy-Vee quick oats
1 c. natural peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
1 c. Hy-Vee honey
1 c. dark chocolate chips
1 c. Hy-Vee dried cranberries (I substitued pecan pieces instead)
1 c. milled flaxseed
1 c. vanilla whey protein powder

Directions:

Mix all ingredients together and stir until blended. Spread mixture into a 8-by-8-inch pan and refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.

I was very pleased when I tried it! It was a very filling snack that did actually taste similar to a chocolate chip cookie.

Why the Z3 in the name? Well, these bars were created by Jenny Weber, the head coach of the USA Triathlon's youth and junior team program and owner of Z3 Youth and Junior Triathlon Team. Since they contain carbs and protein, they are a great way to replenish your body after a work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment