Saturday, February 12, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

My grandma gives me a yearly subscription to Women's Day magazine (thank you, Nano!). I usually find a recipe or two in each issue that I want to try. This month, a recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto struck my eye. I had never had butternut squash or risotto of any kind. But I was very pleased with this new dish! The butternut squash was easy to find in the grocery store. I looked on YouTube to figure out how to peel and cut it (click here to see).

Here's the how-to:

You will need:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium butternut squash (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper
3/4 cup Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
3.5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tsp fresh thyme (I did not have this and it turned out fine without)
1/4 cup (1 oz) grated Romano (I also did not have this, I just substituted Parmesan cheese)

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6-8 minutes.

2. Add the butternut squash, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the squash is beginning to soften, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the (uncooked) rice and cook for 1 minute.

3. Add the wine and simmer until absorbed, 8-10 minutes. Add half the broth (1.75 cups) and simmer, stirring once, until absorbed, 8-10 minutes.

4. Add the remaining broth and simmer, stirring once, until the rice is tender and creamy and the broth has been absorbed, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the thyme and Romano. Serve with additional Romano if desired.

Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 306 calories, 10 grams protein, 44 grams carbs, 10 grams fat (3 grams saturated fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment