Monday, September 5, 2011

Laborous Labor Day

I decided to take full advantage of my 4 day weekend to get the master bedroom painted. Since I'm so in love with our new duvet from Pottery Barn and know it will be years upon years until I replace it, I decided to draw a color from the pattern.


I decided to go with the blueish, greening, greyish color that composes the background of the print since it would be calming and relaxing for a bedroom. Over the course of the past few weeks, I have been bringing home paint chips from various stores. I accumulated quite the collection.


Shockingly though, none of the paint chips was even close to matching. So I went back to Pottery Barn, bought a sham to match our duvet cover (to be returned later), took it to Lowes, and scanned the hundred of colors until I found this:

"Pine Needle" by Valspar. I picked it because it is too light, not too dark, not too green, and not too blue. And it looks pretty sharp up against the duvet cover. Do I think it looks like the color of pine needles? Not even close, but that's ok.

So the fun part was over, and it was time to get to work.

I had to bust out the ladder for this one, since this room has vaulted ceilings. I also had to get over my moderate fear of heights!!

Since nothing can ever just work out the way you want it to, I had to overcome one obstacle. The paint didn't get mixed up all the way at the store. After painting two walls, I noticed minor variations in color. I didn't think I could live with it, so I tried to stir the paint by hand as best I could, and repaint over what I had already done. This seemed to do the trick, but added frustration and time and the need for another gallon of paint, which I sent Kyle out to pick up.

I marched onward, and completed the rest of the room without needing to do a second coat (just some minor touch-ups to some parts that got missed with the roller). And I'm very pleased with the result (minus the obvious need for some serious wall decor above the headboard) .


Ahhhhh...tranquility....

Oh yeah, and we have blinds now..... The ability to sleep in past 6 am and change clothes outside of the closet returns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment