Sunday, September 18, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things...

Pizza and tacos; such a wonderful combination. I've made taco pizza before, but for the first time I used actual bread dough (instead of a pre-made pizza crust). I found this bag of 3 whole wheat "loaves" in the freezer section.


All I had to do was thaw it in the fridge over night.


Next, I grabbed a pound of ground beef.


This grass fed variety our favorite kind. It's from a farm in Minnesota, but it's sold at the Super Targets here in Des Moines. It can be ordered online by clicking here!


While the beef was browning, I chopped up part of an onion....


....and added it to the ground beef, along with the taco seasoning and some water.

While letting the meat mixture simmer for a few minutes, I kneaded the dough into the best circle I could manage. This took some patience, as the dough kept wanting to shrink back into a ball instead of lay flat.


As a spur of the moment decision, I decided to add some refried beans to the pizza since I already had a can.

But only to may half, because Kyle doesn't like refried beans, or so he says :)


Next I sprinked the meat mixture over top.


And last but not least, the cheese! I used reduced fat shredded mexican cheese.


Then I popped it in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20ish minutes.


Meanwhile, I prepped some toppings.


We topped off our slices with some crumbles of Baked Doritos.

This dish will definitely make a re-occurance in our kitchen soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment